Thanks so much to everyone who enquired after my WIP, it is lovely to know that other people like these colours too.
I’ll describe the stitch first as that’s the easiest part: It is called crossed trebles and it is stitch no. 161 from Sarah Hazell’s book ‘200 crochet stitches’
It is basically a 2 row pattern repeat so all the X’s lie in the same direction, and I changed colour every 2 rows. Describing the colours is a bit more tricky. Remember I said that the project started off as a stash buster? Well the stash was 3 balls of Rowan purelife 4 ply cotton, now unfortunately discontinued. The colours were all naturally dyed and I think I had oak bark, natural and light brazil.
It took me ages to find anything with quite the same matt finish, and in the end I went for Scheepjeswol cotton 8, and used grey, natural and beige. The final colour is a lovely dull mauve from my friend’s stash, and I am really not sure what I would substitute for this if I did another one. I have been looking at Cascade ultra pima in heathered pansy, but am not sure if this will have a sheen to it.
So finally for the technical bit. I cast on 128 stitches, and made the blanket 55 ‘stripes’ long, using a 4mm hook. It weighs just under 300g, and measures 78 x 58cm. If I were buying the yarn from scratch I would get 1 ball each of the grey and mauve, and 2 balls each of pink, beige and natural.