So I think the owl is nearly ready to fly:
Made in King Cole cottonsoft crush ‘rainbow’ (60g) Cottonsoft dk ‘buttercup’ (160g) and ‘Rose petal’ (30g). Other yarns from stash.
The original pattern was from Shifo on Ravelry (here) but I did adapt it somewhat. The pattern suggests that you crochet the bag and applique all the parts on later, but I made the chest plate first and incorporated it into the bag using the ‘join as you go’ method. Shi-fo’s bag starts with a long chain which you draw together to form the toe section, but I started with a circle and built up to the right number of stitches that way. My wings are ovals as I felt they fitted on to the body better than circles, and I ended with a rib at the top which I hope will make the bag stay on the baby a bit better!
If I made it again I would consider using a cotton/acrylic mix which would give a lighter bag, but I am pleased with the colours and the construction, and enjoyed doing something new.