One of the things that I really enjoy doing is putting different colours together, and what better opportunity could there be for that than making some scarves from left-over yarn?
I have used different variegated yarns as a way of bringing the scrap colours together. The scarves are made in UK double crochet, and are 30 stitches (18cm) wide and roughly 130cm long. They used 100g of wool-cotton dk and about 70g of variegated yarn each.
My colour combinations so far are: Rowan wool cotton Coffee (956) with King Cole Drifter Kentucky (1356); Rowan wool cotton Rich (911) with Stylecraft Batik elements Magnesium (1940) and Rowan wool cotton Gypsy, Grand and Frozen (910, 954 and 977) with King Cole Drifter Kansas (1373) – that one had a lot of ends to sew in!
This is a truly scrappy project – made with left-over yarn from at least two projects:
It’s made in Corner to Corner crochet in bands of 3-row stripes. I used a 7mm hook, and the scarf is 9 ‘squares’ wide and 28 ‘stripes’ long. It weighs 265g (so each stripe used roughly 10g of yarn) and is 17cm wide x 160cm long
The yarn is Drops Alaska in Dark blue (37), Navy blue (12), Denim blue (57), Mustard (58), Off white (02), Grey mix (04), Dark grey mix (05) and possibly some others!
It is perhaps not the most classic of colour combinations (!) but it will be sent to Knit for Peace shortly – and I have no doubt that it will keep someone cosy in the cold.
At first sight this scarf might not look like a challenge at all. I have after all made rather a lot of corner-to-corner scarves already, so what is special about this one?
Well to start with none of the yarn was mine, I was using up a friend’s stash, and so the colour palette is hers. Secondly I didn’t buy a single scrap of yarn to add to the project, so there was no background base-colour that I knew would bring everything together. Finally the scarf has 12 different colours of yarn in it, including different textures and weights and in very varied quantities.
So what do I think I achieved? The thing I am most pleased with is that to me the scarf has a cohesiveness that does not suggest that it was made of scraps. There is a loose six-stripe repeat, which allowed me to space out the dominant red and turquoise colours evenly between some more neutral shades, and finally I used pretty much every scrap of yarn that there was!
I have shown the scarf to my friend, and she is pleased with it, and with her agreement it will soon be winging its way to Knit for Peace. They currently have an appeal out for items suitable for teenage boys – and I am hoping that this will fit the bill.
Based on Cherry Heart’s Going to Wales scarf, this one has been rather more locally made…
I am not very proficient at reading written patterns so it was lucky for me that some kind soul had drawn out a chart for it on Ravelry. There is a slight error on the chart which shows the loop between trebles on row three as three chains whereas the written pattern says five, but it was a godsend. Oh and I did miss out the edging row as to be honest the edges seem fine as they are. Made in Louisa Harding Amitola (80% wool, 20% silk) on a 4mm hook. The colour is number 136 which seems to be called ‘Hook’ for no obvious reason. I thought that the yarn was 4-ply and although it is described as DK on-line I was not short on yardage at all.
As this post is my February challenge I should explain what was new for me – I have never made a ‘lacy’ or open-work pattern before, I had to match the colour sequence over two 50g balls of yarn, and I did have to read a written pattern even though I had help from the chart. That’ll do for now!
You may remember the lovely balls of Jamiesons Shetland wool that I was given for Christmas, and if so the colourway of this scarf will come as no surprise:
Made in Jamiesons Shetland spindrift Mogit (107), Moorit (118) and Scotch Broom (1160)on a 4mm hook. The wave pattern is Attic 24’s neat ripple pattern and the scarf is 3 ripples wide (starting chain of 45) and 45 wide ripples long. It took most of 6 x 25g balls of yarn although obviously I could have made it longer and used it all.
I think there is a definite bee vibe going on there!
‘Crochet again’ has now published version 3.1 of her super Granny rectangle pattern, and this one has only a single line of the base colour (here). As soon as I saw it the word ‘scarf’ slipped into my mind and here, without further ado, is what I came up with:
It is in the same colurs as my ‘Down to Earth’ blanket (here) but you will notice that the starting rectangle is different, so the first colour ends up as the same width as the other rounds.
I had a starting chain of 34 motifs which was 74cm long, and ended up with a scarf which is 110 x 36cm after 18 rounds. The same starting chain would have given a 96 x 28cm scarf if I had stopped after 14 rounds.