I have been wanting for some time to make a Bertie baby blanket in a quality yarn, and recently had the opportunity to make one on commission.
Made in Drops cotton merino cream, powder pink, lilac and lavender on a 5mm hook. I started with a chain of 91 stiches to make a 9 motif wide blanket. The final blanket measures 77 x 60cm and took 4 balls of cream, and just over 1 ball of each of the pink colours. In total it weighs 340g
It is being gifted to a very ‘pink’ new mum – and I think she will love it!
My second attempt at a sock yarn blanket, this one using the corner to corner technique:
It was quite hard to judge when I had used half of the sock yarn, and I had to change the ratio of plain to patterned rows towards the final corner of the blanket in case I ran out of it, but there still seems to be a colour balance to the blanket overall and I am pleased with the final product.
I used 1 x 100g ball of Schachenmayr Regia Die Sockenwolle design line 4 ply by Arne & Carlos Colour 03657 ‘Summer night’ and 3 x 50g balls of King Cole merino superwash 4 ply 3292 ‘Pale grey’ on a 4mm hook. The finished blanket measures 70 x 58cm and is 56 squares long x 46 squares wide.
This one will be on its way to Pram Depot soon – to keep a new baby warm and snuggly.
I was told recently that sock yarn is much undervalued – it is machine washable, soft, hard wearing, and comes in lovely colours. So, deciding that I was up for a challenge, I set out to make a baby blanket using sock yarn. Here is my first attempt:
So what were the challenges? A ball of random coloured wool can look far from random in a finished piece due to colour pooling of dominant shades, and I had to work really hard to minimise this in the blanket. It turns out that visually the dominant shade was the palest colour (a creamy yellow) which was in danger of building up to form significant blank areas in the blanket. The particular sock yarn that I chose had long colour changes, and perhaps a yarn with a shorter-length colour change would have been easier to achieve a random effect with.
Overall I am quite pleased with it. The colours are cheery and the wool content should make it warm despite being relatively thin. I have a couple more rows to do and then this one is off to ‘Birth Companions‘ a lovely charity that supports vulnerable women giving birth. If I get my skates on it might be being used by Christmas.
It is made with 2 x 50g balls of Grundl ‘hot socks color’ shade 410 which is 75% wool, 25% polyamide and is machine washable at 40 degrees C. Plus 3 x 50g of King Cole Merino blend 4ply superwash wool shade 46 (Aran). I used a 4mm hook.
Time for teddy to make another appearance with my first baby blanket for 2018, and a resolution:
It is of course a granny rectangle, and this one is made in Drops cotton merino white (which is in fact a lovely warm cream colour), and Rico baby classic dk light grey, smokey blue and mauve (discontinued). I think the colours are quite calming and (in my view) also gender-neutral.
I am a little late with this year’s resolution and it might sound somewhat strange at first, but my aim is to crochet less. Before you all fall off your collective chairs I should explain a little. Last year turned out to be a year of frenetic trebling for me – baby blankets, scarves, dishcloths, you name it. I have to admit that I found the whole making thing very therapeutic, but I feel that this year less might be more.
I am not saying that there will be no more baby blankets this year (I am not even sure that would be possible) but that I will make an effort to improve my skills by trying different things. This will inevitably decrease my productivity but I think that might be a good thing.
So if you feel that I am blogging a little less, it will not be because I am neglecting you, or my crochet. It will hopefully be because I am trying something new and interesting and perhaps a little more time consuming. Wish me luck!
Teddy is back, and this time with a Granny rectangle blanket made in Sirdar no. 1 yarn:
I found it a little thicker than my normal baby yarn, and it definitely has less twist in than I would like, but the colours are pretty and the finished blanket is wonderfully soft.
Made in Sirdar no. 1 spearmint (205) and wishbone (202), and Rico baby classic dk ice blue (023) and turquoise (025) on a 4.5mm hook.
It has been a while since I have made one of these but a recent sale meant that I needed to re-stock:
I have noticed quite a few people finding my blog by searching for ‘Free Bertie baby blanket pattern’. If by any chance you have come here looking for exactly that then PLEASE go onto Little Doolally’s website and for the quite reasonable sum of £3.90 you will get a full PDF of the pattern including a photo tutorial. I have bought quite a few patterns in my time and I can honestly say that this is one that I would consider to be well worth the purchase price.
Mine is made in Rico baby classic cream, blue, ice blue, turquoise, light green, light grey and light blue (discontinued) on a 4.5mm hook.
The little drawers were a second-hand find and are painted in Annie Sloan chalk paint ‘Lem Lem’ which she sells to support Oxfam. We got the drawers for our daughter to keep her art tools in, but I seem to have commandeered them for use as a photo-prop just now!